Posts tagged Palakkad Fort
Palakkad Fort, situated in the Palakkad town, is beautiful and best preserved forts in Kerala. The sober silence of the granite wall reminds the old tal of valour and courage. It was constructed in 1766 by Hyder Ali of Mysore and his son Tippu Sulthan. In 1790 the fort was taken over and re-modified by the British East India company. The fort is protected by the Archeological Survey of India. Martyr’s Column Open Air Auditorium called “Rappadi” and Tourism Information Centre of Distric Tourism Promotion council are there in the spacious Fort Maidan. The children’s park and Vatika‘ are just on the side of the Fort. The fort was situated in the middle of Palakkad Gap with an area of 15 acres.